My older daughter had a last food tech challenge yesterday themed “afternoon tea”. We looked at some recipes over the weekend and decided that it would be nice to go for something little bit different. We came across this recipe and considering that we have tons of lavender in our front and back gardens we thought this is the perfect afternoon tea cupcake fit for the Queen.
So here is the recipe…
To make 12 cupcakes, you will need:
115g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
115g self-raising flour
2 tablespoons milk
185g icing sugar
1 egg white
lilac food colouring (we bought red and blue and she mixed them up in equal measures)
12 springs of fresh lavender
a 12-hole muffin tin and paper cases
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line the muffin tin with paper cases
2. Put the sugar and lavender flowers in a food processor and briefly combine. Tip it into a bowl with butter and beat together until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat the eggs into the butter mixture then sift in the flour and fold in. If needed, add the milk.
4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for around 18 minutes.
5. Once cool, decorate the cupcakes with the icing mixture – beat the wgg white into the icing sugar and add few drops of food colouring until you achieve a nice lavender colour.
6. Spoon over the cakes and decorate with a sprig of fresh lavender.
And that’s it! Easy peasy lemon squeezy. And they taste delicious – very moist and fragrant.
Let me know how you got on.